About Me

Monday, December 22, 2008

The Whisper

"Bart" someone whispered. I'm wide awake. It's roughly 6am. The rooster has made and is making his sounding rounds. I haven't gone to sleep yet. I keep musician hours since the accident. I go to bed normally around 4am and wake up anytime between 12pm and 2pm at my leisure now. However, the last 2 nights, bart and I have stayed up until 5am. Kinda late to go to bed, even for bart. but that's the way it goes sometimes when you watch some great funny comedy shows like The Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's the LD (Larry David) 3rd season who is keeping us up late the last 2 nights. I know we could have cut it off and wait until the next night to see the last 2 episodes on the DVD, but we didn't. we were really enjoying them. Bart sleeps in the other room since I can manage to pee on my own now. he's a light sleeper. any movement, any sound, he will wake up and be up for hours. he doesn't go back to sleep like a baby once awaken. I'm not like that though. I can sleep anytime of the day. cat naps, long naps. hours, minutes, whatever you throw me, I'm up for the challenge. you can wake me, and then i can go back to sleep with no problem. Hey, I can sleep thru a gun shot fired directly below me, but i am known for being waken up to couples making love next door though. But I'm not asleep now. Bart left the room an hour ago to find sleep. He tends to talk in his sleep too. I don't remember what he says, it's different each time. Sometimes it's French. Sometimes, he can jump from one conversation to another. I don't remember b/c for one, I am sleeping and for two, there is never a notepad at the side of my bed when he decides to have these intriguing conversations with his dream buddies. But now it's going on 6am and I am laying on my back, staring toward the ceiling fan above me in the dark. My eyes have adjusted to the darkness and I can clearly see dark images and know what they are. I feel safe in my ghetto farm. I have my musician man in the front part of the shotgun house. Bart's house almost fits the design of my Burgundy Bend shotgun house. However, Bart's house is a single, not a 4plex, like mine. And Bart's bathroom is the last room of the shotgun and the kitchen is the last room of my shotgun. anyway. I'm staring at the ceiling and the Casablanca wall before me, and I hear a whisper, "Bart". Okay that's not Bart. he's in the other room. and Bart would not just leave his conversational talking dreams to walk to his old bedroom, my new bedroom/bathroom/office to whisper his own name to my ear and quickly disappear in the night without any noisemaking sounds or footsteps. why would he do that? wouldn't Bart say "Deb" or "Debbie, you awake?" Bart's known for talking, but not sleepwalking. Bart's in the front room now, two rooms ahead of this one. yea, i hear bart talk in his sleep, in fact, he was talking during the whisper episode. But he was far away, the whisper was near or in this room. this is strange. I'm wide awake and someone just whispered "Bart" to or in my ear. I look toward the clock and it said 6:07am. I know it's a few minutes fast, so it's around 6am. but I go by the clock's time. And then I looked onto the window. I just stared at the window and the curtain in front of window in the darkness. the curtain has little bitty seemed holes where the light/moonlight can shine thru. No one can see in. I can't see out either, but if something was there, then the shadow of the creature would cast over the moonlit holes. The rooster made another sound. It was still dark outside. I laid there in silence, i still felt safe, even though someone may be outside or inside? Whomever or whatever it was, he/she/they/it can't see me from the outside. The bed is below the window sill. Bart took off the bed frames the night of the accident. I lay there, still. No more whispers. Curtain moonlight holes didn't move. It's 6:22am now. A little rain, a little wind whispers. Water droplets from the leaf/leaves of the tree that stands by this bedroom window hit the window sills . Branches brush against the house from the whispers of the wind. Could this be my imagination? am i hearing things? I know I'm taking pain killer medication, but I heard a whisper and it was of Bart's name. Was it the wind? the wind never met Bart, not that I know of. "Bart" the one and only one time I heard the whispering sound. and I am wide awake. maybe it's the neighbor who wants to wake up bart and doesn't want to disturb me due to my injury? Why wouldn't he just call? oh, i know, he knows that bart keeps his ringer off when he sleeps due to his light sleeping disability. Nah, this neighbor wouldn't just decide to whisper bart's name and then quit after one try. we'll have to ask the neighbor if he did whisper bart's name at 6am , this Sunday morning. Just before the whisper, I heard a kitten meowing 6 times for food or comfort or both. A door opened, then shut, and then a minute later, i heard the whisper, "Bart". And then my mind wondered off again and thought it may have been bart's deranged psychotic lunatic ex-business partner stalking him. So now I'm thinking this man is outside the window, whispering "Bart". I'm not sure? But this definitely was not the wind talking. The wind doesn't know Bart's name or where he resides. I did nothing. It's 6:37am according to the fast clock. Is there a ghost that I don't know about in this hundred year old house? I'm still not scare. i can't do much anyway. can't move fast. can't run. I'm kinda stuck here. this whispering sounding ghost will just have to haunt me or kill me, but not scare me, as i lay here. He or she or it can't scare me tonight, this early morning I mean. I'm not alone either. Bart is still talking in the front. maybe the ghost is entertained thru the night during Bart's sleep talking conversations? Maybe the ghost thought I was Bart? Maybe that is why I heard only one whisper? The Ghost doesn't know that Bart doesn't sleep in this room anymore, for now. The Ghost figured out that I wasn't Bart and left the room, searching for conversa tion? I didn't answer the ghost. Why should i answer the ghost?! The whisper just made me alert for another 30 minutes. I just laid awake there until i laid awake there no more.

Alerts at the Ghetto Farm,

deb

No comments:

Post a Comment