About Me

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Not the timeoff i wanted!

Deb climbs ladders everyday at work to get necessary items for customers and employees, etc. and/or to stock the tables, build amazing floor sets and walls to decorate and hold art pieces, paintings, drawings and such. Anywhere from 3 to 10 times or so a day for the past 9 years. She climbs as low as the lowest step (about 1.5 feet) to as high as the highest step (6 feet) on 1 of the 2 ladders. On the other ladder, she also has known to climb as high as the second step from the top of a 12 feet ladder. In the years past at other jobs, Deb has climbed other ladders at other jobs. She has also climbed ladders leisurely.

On this particular cold day, Friday, December 12, 2008, Deb, the manager of the day, wanted to increase the restaurant's overall food/drink sales and items per transaction by having cool gidgets & gadgets like nice wines, openers, hot chocolates, postcards, poems etc. located near the giftshop, register counter, &/or bar (like impulse buy at the grocery store) so each worker could suggestive sale to each customer or the customer could just see the cozy items while they were making their purchases. We experienced snow the day before, which was very exciting to the New Orleans and the Metry peeps. Because in New Orleans and Metairie, it hardly ever snows and this experience was history breaking for us at such an early date, Thursday, December 11, 2008. Anyway, back to the ladder story...



The lunch crow had subsided, and I was about to go to lunch, but I wanted to get an item to stock on the floor. The item was stored in the stock room, ladder high. So I got my usual 6 feet ladder, prompted it up and quickly got on the ladder. No real biggy, I've done this many times before. I was on the 2nd (5 feet high) or 3rd step (4 feet high) from the top, I think I was on the 2nd from the top. Anyway, I lost my balance, grabbed onto,something that I thought was secure at the time, and fell backwards sideways. My comfortable flat shoes left the bottom of my arrival to the hard, no padding, floor. I landed on my right hip and right wrist. Screamed like a mother fucker! 911 was called and I was hauled away, strapped in a stretcher to East Jefferson Hospital (the ER nurse and ER doctor were not very empathetic and caring to my injury). I broke (fractured) my pelvic bone and broke (fractured) my wrist--yea the same one I broke about 4 years ago. The wrist isn't as bad as the first break, but it was a break! The pelvis, a different story! I can't walk, stand, or hop. I can't even lay on my side. I can only sit and lay on my back, that's it.And I have to pee in a bed pan, aka pee pan. I couldn't make it to my 2nd floor flat.So, my car is at the mall, my cats are at my house, and I'm at Bart's raised (5 steps high) house. Yea, Bart gets to feed my cats everyday and take care of their litter at my house, and then he comes to his house and wipes my ass! What a trooper he is! he's taking good care of me. But wait, I haven't pooed yet! ;)

The ER doc said, bed rest for 2 weeks, and then on crutches. The doctor/nurse gave me a couple of morphine shots, which didn't get rid of the pain, just made me loopy and then gave me a prescription of Purcaset and told me to go see my orthopedic doctor on Monday to check out my pelvis and wrist. Does this doctor address how to get to the doctor's office? I can't walk, hop, or skip? Bart can't carry me alone. (he asked his neighbor's assistance with the 5 steps to his house) which took 1 hour. After I made it into inside the house, I sat on a chair,and Bart dragged me and the chair to the bedroom. Bart removed his bed frame underneath the mattress to make the bed even with the chair so I could slide my way from the chair to the bed.

I wonder if you can just pick up a wheelchair somewhere or buy it? I guess you can. It's either a wheelchair or another ambulance to get to the doctor's office.. And what about the crutch thing? what kind of doctor is he? he tells me I will be on crutches but fails to mention that crutches are for people who can put weight on their hands and wrists. HELLO. more pressure on a broken wrist? that's not good.

I'm fucked for the next few weeks. I'm already uncomfortable b/c I can't lay on my side without feeling severe pain. Even my purcaset and the Buenos Aires Muscle relaxers don't help me. My ass is going to get wide, and I am going to gain weight, I can't dance either. No tapping for me. And I just learned how to tap, dammit! No any dancing for me either! No tango, no swing, no nothing, just a couple of bed sores!

bah hum bah,

deb

8 comments:

  1. Deb! This is horrible news!

    I will come visit you as soon as I can.
    I will bring you anything you want, run chores for you, etc. You can count on me.

    Unfortunately I'm leaving town on the 23rd through the 3rd of Jan., but just let me know if you need stuff. I won't wipe your ass though ;)

    Luckily you have good health insurance. You'll get well soon, I know, cause you're tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Deb! I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through right now. If you need me to do anything for you, let me know. Helping you pooh is not even an option, OK?

    Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, Deb!! That's awful! Especially in the middle of the holidays. (And yet you still manage to make us all giggle with your story-telling. "Buenos Aires Muscle Relaxers" was my favorite - heehee! They should put that right on the label.)

    Two of us (yes, I'm volunteering someone else as well as myself) can coordinate and get your car from the mall, if you haven't made arrangements for that already, once you're ready to think about that. I know it's not the most pressing thing, but just so it doesn't sit there for 2+ weeks.

    I would think your orthopedist will hook you up with (or tell you where to get) a loaner wheelchair and whatever else you'll need, but I guess that doesn't help in getting you to his office tomorrow. ERs suck.

    Many kudos to Bart for taking such good care of you! I'd like to cook some food for you guys and bring it over this week. (It will be healthy! Don't worry about your ass, chick! Just focus on getting well.)
    Is your cell near you so we can reach you? Or can you give us Bart's # if we should reach you that way? Call if you need anything! Or are stircrazy and need to chat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb,

    That's a horrible story! By the middle of the second paragraph, I could predict where it was going and was cringing.

    If you need me to go by your house after work to feed your cats, just let me know.

    On the way home from work every day, I pass Mr. Wheelchair. Here is their web site - http://www.mrwheelchair.com/ . They're on Jefferson Hwy near Causeway.

    I don't want to make light of your serious situation, but this part made my laugh: "She has also climbed ladders leisurely." I can just picture you at Audubon Park climbing ladders for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man. That sucks, Deb! I hope you feel better soon, ibuprofin really helps... just take 800mg at a time (most capsules are 200mg) but dont take that much more than once or twice a day as that's close to the max you're supposed to take.. but man it works! (800mg is what prescription strength ibuprofen is)

    and I can vouch for Marshall and Julie's respective litterbox and caregiving skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, shit. That just sucks, Debbie. I'm really sorry that you won't
    be able to hop for awhile because it seems really important to you
    (you mentioned it twice). ;)

    But seriously, what a miserable situation. My neighbors used to have
    a wheelchair for the grandkids to play with. Do you want me to see if
    you can use it for awhile if they still have it?

    I can't offer any help right now during my hectic season. But let me
    know if there's anything I can do next week or thereafter. Well,
    other than wiping your ass. I do have my limits. :)

    {{{{Debbbie}}}}

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  7. deb,
    this is awful. please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
    I do look forward to receiving some long entertaining e-mails from you though!

    Heal girl heal. I have crutches for when you get on your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! I'm sorry you got hurt! I'm glad you have Bart to take care of you. He sounds so sweet and I'll have to meet him.
    I broke my hip about a year and a half ago while I was at work; a horse ran over me. Fractured the acetabulum. That's the cup the ball of the joint sits in. I could walk just fine (carefully), and sit if my leg was stretched out, but couldn't lay down; certainly not on that side! I x-rayed it myself, sent the rads to my brother who is a boarded radiologist, and he prescribed 6 to 8 weeks rest. YEAH RIGHT!! who's going to go out and feed the horses? So, I never even took a day off! I did pass out under a horse while doing a pre-purchase exam though. She bumped my hip and the world seemed to explode! I woke up a second later under the horse with several anxious people grouped around me, but the horse just stood there!
    As a horse vet though, I've worked with broken ribs, broken fingers, broken nose, and broken toes, even a pretty major concussion (that was truly the worst)! Just part of the job. But, the broken wrist on crutches thing...kind of amusing when you think about it really!! A wheelchair is the ticket for you, I think.
    Good luck!
    Keep me posted.
    Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete