About Me

Sunday, December 21, 2008

the difference

I live in the hood now. the Ghettohood. 7 blocks from my house. i call it Treme', but Bart seems to call it the New Marigny. a different kind of musical noise entertains me than my usual. At my house, the Bend, Burgundy Bend, lots of drama. but hardly any noise. the occasional sharing shotgun wall neighbor yelling at his girlfriend every couple of months. And before he lived there, I shared the wall with 2 lesbians and heard their love making sounds. I can handle that, but other than that, i didn't hear much. And even when i'm asleep, someone could blow their head off right below me and then 20 cop cars can circle the house with their lights and sirens on, trying to figure out the head explosion mess, and i wouldn't even notice. I could sleep thru that. Well...I did sleep thru that. That happened a month ago. A girl shot and killed herself in front of my neighbor who lives below me. directly below me. My bedroom is directly above my neighbor's den where she decided to play with a gun. 'Lets see, ummmm, I wonder if there are any bullets in the chamber? oh, let me test it out. I'll just put the gun to my mouth. hmmm, sounds like a good idea. I know20i'm loaded, but maybe the gun isn't.' At least she didn't aim toward the ceiling. I may have been a goner. And I slept thru the mess. that bloody mess. Well now I'm at a safe place. the ghetto. the Ghettohood. No drama here. Just noise. there's a rooster. every early morning and every early night, the cock-a-doodle-doo sounds and the dogs barking in the far background. do i live on a ghetto farm? I hear the daily yells of the neighbors being neighbors "i kick yur ass, girl friend. gimme that. com' make me. its mine bitch" something like that. it's very soulful. I imagine the 2 girls are fighting over a baby doll. Maybe it's crack?? yea. this neighborhood is different. At the Bend, cars I hardly heard go by. But here, cars are louder and faster and there's more of them. i didn't realize bart lived on a busy street. or maybe the bend is just a zone for quiet sounding cars. Here, there is loud wrap music playing in their bouncy cars as they stroll down the street, looking for some action, i guess. At least that is what I imagine that the cars bounce up and down to keep to the noise beat. Vibrations rocking the house. A lot of different noise. i hear sirens often. Police cars chasing to the scene or chasing the criminal who may have broken into someone's place or robbed or mugged someone. Maybe it's about drugs. They got a tip and they are pursuing the live action. Or maybe someone has been shot from a nearby drug shooting.=2 0I haven't heard any gun shots as of yet, however, bart has assured me that he has heard them in the past. On the bend, I don't hear a lot of sirens and gun shots. I just hear stories about a murder or suicide that has taken place in the neighborhood. A Buffa's bartender murders his girlfriend by strangulation, then chops her up and stores her in his kitchen appliances to be eaten for dinner or later eaten as a spicy dessert. Bartender throws himself off the Omni rooftop building for a splattered death. Note in pocket. Reads something like, 'check out my apartment. you'll find Addie.' Addie was his strangled girlfriend. And then there's the pure suicide. LJ, a nearby neighbor hangs herself. Found in her apartment when friend had not seen or talked to her in a couple of days. And then another murder. Buffa's cook & boyfriend murdered in cold blood in bed while sleeping. All were affiliations somehow to the Bend. To our neighborhood. They either worked near or lived near the Bend. Either way, an affiliation. So in the ghetto, I hear noise, but I don't hear of noise. I don't hear the drama of my neighbor getting his jaw cracked in half from a crazy military maniac swinging the Club, crushing my neighbor's jaw. And his roommate getting arrested b/c he wouldn't play the quiet game with the cops when the cops saw the pool of blood of the cracked jawed neighbor that he was swimming in. Yea, those times. those dramas. I would get high off of cough medicine and then wash it down with a few beers as me and my neighbor friends hopped from one bar to the next. We would start and end up at Buffa's many nights of the week. We would make our rounds to Cosmos, Molly's, and Frenchmen St. as well. Ahhh, the times. You don't hear about my dating disasters of me falling for a young Mormon or a psycho deadbeat dad. what was i thinking?? No. No drama here, just some noise. Different noise. Different action. Different drama. Just the usual you'll hear in a ghetto farm-like kind of neighborhood.

2 comments:

  1. You have to start calling your neighborhood the Ghetto Farm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still looking forward to your daily insane ramblings, Deb. Keep them coming.

    My favorite sentence from this one: "I haven't heard any gun shots as of yet, however, bart has assured me that he has heard them in the past." That sure doesn't sound assuring to me, but what do I know. I live in the suburbs.

    ReplyDelete